MANILA ELECTRIC Co. (Meralco) has issued a statement on Tuesday clarifying questions raised against its recent power supply agreements (PSAs) with various power generation companies after the death of an executive at the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).
William S. Pamintuan, Meralco’s lead lawyer, said the PSAs were filed by the company in accordance with ERC rules and regulation, and that these went through “a very transparent and rigorous public hearing process.”
Some news reports questioned the agreements after ERC Director Francisco Jose S. Villa, Jr. took his own life on Nov. 9, with a member of his family claiming he had been pressured to approve contracts for procurements and hiring consultants without proper bidding and procedure.
Mr. Villa headed the bids and awards committee at the ERC before his death.
However, Mr. Pamintuan said the power supply agreements “are not part of the matters being taken up by the Bids and Award Committee of the ERC which actually deals with internal contracts and procurement at the ERC.”
Read more here.